for boaters who know where they're going. sp-80 takes you where you want to be--effortlessly. its smart, precise piloting gives you the extra hand on deck you've always needed. and the operation is a snap: simply set the course and the sp-80 takes the controls, piloting you to your destination with ease and precision. so bait the lines or simply enjoy the sunset. with the si-tex sp-80 autopilot you're right on course. hands free, and ready to go.
- designed for inboard outboard and sterndrive vessels with hydraulic steering systems.
- automatically pilots to your next waypoint using built-in nmea 0183 loran/gps interface.
- waterproof control head easily installs flush or surface mounted.
- system can be expanded by adding fully functional second-station option with the si-tex sp-70 handheld control unit.
- bold, backlit display with ten levels of brightness for clear reading in any light.
- accurate digital displays of rudder angle and operating mode in use, constantly giving you up-to-the minute operating status.
- automatic sea state and trim controls and 10 selectable levels of rudder sensitivity with high and low speed settings for smooth, precise steering.
- rudder feedback verifies autopilot's commands.
- ghost rudder backup allows autopilot to use memory of rudder movements to calculate new movements in event of rudder feedback failure.
- heading output feature allows you to stabilize radar display.
- built-in diagnostics and self tests, plus visual and audible alarms.
- power steering mode offers convenient push-button steering. stand-by mode for manual steering situations.
- optional analog rudder angle indicator for easy, at-a-glance reading of exact rudder position.
- works with solenoid valves also.
| si-tex sp-80 autopilot system - specifications |
| 10 ~ 40v dc |
| average 3 amps |
| 3 amps max. |
radio navigational interface
| nmea 0183 |
| fluxgate |
| l° |
| 0.25° |
| control unit: 6"w x 1"d x 3.1"h |
processor unit: 6.3"w x 15"l x 2.7"h
fluxgate compass: 5.6"w x 4.2"l x 3.4"h
a1. system overview:
1. the octopus rotary mechanical autopilot drive (model mdr-40) is an automatic pilot drive system which makes it easy and economical to install an automatic pilot on smaller powerboats steered with mechanical push pull cable steering systems and small sailboats with access to a quadrant or tiller. the unit is powerful and fast - capable of delivering over 300lbs of cable thrust, with a normal h.o. to h.o. time of 15 seconds.
2. the drive unit either replaces or is used in conjunction with common brands of mechanical rotary and rack & pinion steering helm units, it incorporates a drive motor, a solenoid clutch and offers rudder feed back (rfb) capability. the mdr40 drive is based on the morse 290 rotary helm unit and accepts morse 304415 and teleflex ssc52 rotary cables without modification. if the vessel is fitted with a telleflex ?safe t? or ?big t? or uflex ?t71?, t73nr?, ?t81? system, a simple cable end adapter must be fitted to the cable before installing the drive. if the vessel is fitted with a rack and pinion type steering system (or other brands of rotary system), the mdr40 drive can be used, but the steering cable must also be replaced with a morse 304415 or teleflex ssc52.
a2. product limitation:
the mdr40 drive will fit a large number of vessels, which were just difficult or economically not practical to fit automatic pilots to before. the product does have some limitations, which must be observed, please note the following:
1. the mdr40 drive unit is designed around the morse 290 rotary drive helm manufactured by morse controls of hudson ohio, usa. to meet a.b.y.c. regulations, this type of steering is recommended for use on vessels with a maximum speed of 40 m.p.h. the mdr40 should not be fitted to vessels, which exceed this speed.
2. the mdr40 drive unit should not be fitted to boats where the maximum horsepower of the engines exceeds the maximum horsepower rating for the vessel as stated on the vessel manufacturers tag.
3. if the existing steering system on the vessel is a nfb (no feed back) type. the mdr40 drive, which is not a nfb helm, can be fitted, but it is strongly advised that the helmsman be formally familiarized with the operational characteristics of the new helm.
4. in the event of uncontrolled automatic steering or other emergency situations, automatic return to manual steering is provided through the operation of a built in slip clutch. it is strongly advised that the helmsman be formally familiarized with this manual overide procedure.
5. the mdr40 drive is designed to produce a maximum cable push/pull of 300lbs, which requires a peak power of 60 watts. this makes the unit very capable of handling the vast majority of cable steered vessels. however some vessels fitted with push pull cable steering systems have very stiff steering or steering which is heavily loaded in one direction due to hull design and engine considerations. generally speaking, the mdr40 will steer vessels that do not require more than a 15-lb force on the rim of a 14-inch diameter steering wheel to hold a course, this equals 105 in/pounds of torque. if the steering wheel input torque exceeds this figure, the mdr40 is not a satisfactory drive system.
determine steering cable compatibility
morse cable 304411 or teleflex ssc52 (no adapter required)
teleflex cable ssc62 (oc15suk08 adapter required)
uflex cable m66 (oc15suk08 adapter required)
morse cable 304415 (oc15suk07 adapter required)
teleflex cable ssc72 (oc15suk07 adapter required)
uflex cable m47 (oc15suk07 adapter required)
any rack style cable (in all case must be replaced with morse cable 304411 or tfx cable ssc 52)
Model #: SP-80MS
*Warranty: Full manufacturer's warranty applies.
This item is accompanied by a manufacturer's warranty. Most items, if found to be defective, may be returned to Savinglots.com for replacement within 30 days from the original date of purchase with proper return authorization. After the 30 day time period, products must be returned to their original manufacturer for the remainder of the manufacturer's warranty period.
Most manufacturers offer at least a 1 year warranty. Please check with the specific manufacturer for their warranty periods. Please email or call us with any questions if you are unable to find specific information.
Large items such as refrigerators, freezers will be serviced under warranty by the manufacturers recommended servicer at your location.